Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Finished!!!


The 38th annual Peachtree Road Race has gone down in the history books. And praise the Lord, my name went down in it. The Peachtree was an event one cannot easily forget. I didn't realize how big the Peachtree was until I crossed the start line. There were people every where. Bands and radio stations lined the streets, along with families and friends with coolers full of cool drinks, something to eat and for some beer and wine. Little girls were on the side walks cheering on all of the participants in the race. I mean folks dressed in costumes, people from local churches, and volunteers. It was a sight to behold.


While the onlookers relaxed and soaked up the rays of the sun and for some the coolness of the shade, those who were actually participating had other things on their minds. Finishing!!!! As I was waiting for the announcers "On your marks, get ready, go!!!" I was asking myself, "What have I gotten myself into?" The start line was a long ways away from the finish line. I couldn't believe I was about to start a 6.2 mile race. Well, once the race began, there was no time to think about how far I had to go, but taking each step with the confidence that I was getting closer to the end.


Isn't that true of our walk with the Lord? How much time do we spend worrying about how much further we have to go? Or what obstacles may be in our way? I kept reminding myself that each step I take in this life is just a step closer to the life I'll spend in eternity with my Lord. In Hebrews 12:1 it says, ".... and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith...." Everyone there had a unified goal, and that was to reach the finish line and get the coveted T-shirt. However, I wanted to do more than just finish. I wanted to endure. That race was hard. There was a hill that was called "Cardiac Hill". It seemed as if that hill would never drop. Jesus also walked a road that probably seemed like it wouldn't end. Hebrews goes on to say, ".....who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." How awesome is that picture. Christ endured all the way to the cross and on the cross. I knew I could endure 6.2 miles which withers in comparison.


Jesus Christ was my inspiration and my strength. I can say with Paul "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." (2 Timothy 4:7 emphasis mine) Praise the Lord, I finished!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is great news! God willing, will you do it next year? (smile)