Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Running the Race


In August of last year I embarked on a mission of exercising and eating right. I was never really serious in years past, but a dear friend of mine encouraged three other ladies and myself to join with her in this venture. We began walking/jogging 3-4 times a week and kept a log of meals and snacks. Things were going great, until she challenged me to sign up for the Peachtree Road Race. The Peachtree is a 6 mile race held in Atlanta every July 4. I accepted, however I was not sure what I was getting into.


On May 12, I signed up for a 3.2 mile race, which raised money for breast cancer awareness. This race gave me a small glimpse of what to expect in July. This was no cake walk. Everyone I knew, had taken off and I couldn't catch them. I had to make it on my own. My legs were burning like fire and I wanted to stop!! However, constantly quoting the verse found in Ecclesiastes 9:11a "The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong..." and Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" gave me the push I needed. I immediately began likening the race to my, our, walk with Christ. Is not our lives, as servants to the Almighty, like a race? We must endure to the end remembering that, it is only through Him that we are able to stand.


Every since that day, I have been telling myself that I can do all things through Him. Washing the dishes, cleaning the house, combing hair, (with four girls, that's alot of hair) loving my children, submitting to my husband. I can daily seek the face of God and stand on His word, because it is His strength that allows me to do it. I may not have finished first in the race, but I finished. And in this life we may not finish first, but we will meet our Saviour at the finish line.

1 comment:

ajcarter said...

You run, my beloved! Like a gazelle (if you know what I mean :).