Friday, July 21, 2006

Certain Death or Life Everlasting

At my church we are currently studying The Pilgrims Progress. It has, thus far, been an eye opening journey. It is a magnificent portrait of the perseverance of the saints. On Wednesday night I was so encouraged by Christian's understanding of why we should endure in this life.

When Christian ran into Timorous and Mistrust they were in pursuit of fleeing from difficulty and danger. They were imploring Christian to do the same. Christian's next words should be a banner in our lives. He says,


"If I go back to my own country,
which faces fire and brimstone,
I shall certainly perish there.
If I can get to the
Celestial City, I am sure to be
safe there. I must go
forward, facing the risks and
dangers. To go back is nothing
but death; to go forward is fear
of death, and life everlasting beyond it.
So I will go
forward."
There is nothing this world could offer that will alleviate us from difficult times, trials, heartache and pain. There is no easy way. In this life we will run in to a Timorous or Mistrust. We will run into people whose lives are gripped by fear. Even people we love and trust will try to persuade us to return to the City of Destruction.
Remember Lot's wife, don't look back, keep moving ahead and let the words of Christian resonate in your hearts and minds, so that when you are faced with those who desire to veer off of the way of the King say to yourself, "To go back is nothing but death; to go forward is fear of death, and life everlasting beyond it. So I will go forward."
If you are interested in joining us through our study of The Pilgrims Progress please go to Southwest Christian Fellowship's website where the sermons are available.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! I'm on my way over there to bookmark it.

Anonymous said...

umm...the link didn't work, but I did a google search and found it. ;-)

Adriane said...

Hey Vikki, Good to hear from you again. I'm sorry about the link. I added an extra letter in the address. I am glad, though, that you were able to get there. I pray that you will be blessed by the messages. It has truly been an eye-opening and heart-changing journey, thus far, for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey, cool Ms. A! I like your blog. Looks like I've got something to practice this week 'cause I've gotta be the biggest coward this side of eternity.
-love ya lots!

Adriane said...

Hey Joa :-), I pray that you were encouraged. Remember, God did not give us a spirit of fear. Stand strong on the word of our Lord. Talk to you soon.

Adriane said...

What joy, peace, and assurance we have in knowing that one day we will enter in to the gates of the Celestial City to meet our Savior. Though trials come on every hand we are covered in the blood that leads us through. Not only leads and guides us but purifies us as well. And during that purification we become more like Christ. Yes, I agree, our thoughts of heaven are small, but praise God he gives us a glimpse of it in His word. May the word of the Lord continue to motivate us to live life in a manner worthy of the calling. Thanks so much PB.